Steinbrenner Softball Takes Down Plant

Alyssa Galang

The Lady Warriors celebrate their second win with each other on the field. Steinbrenner parents and supporting students watched from the bleachers as the Steinbrenner pitcher threw the last ball and struck out the Panthers for the win. Photo Courtesy of Alyssa Galang

On the night of February 23rd, the Lady Warriors took a win against Plant in their home opener softball game. At 7pm, supporting friends and families filled the bleachers while the players prepared for the game.  

“We’re doing practice every day, warmups for the pitcher,” said freshman Lilly Patton. 

Under the pressure of taking home the win, the team has their own ways of shaking out their nerves beforehand.   

“We got dance parties…team meal…just have fun,” said junior Saige Sampson.  

In the first inning, Sampson started as pitcher. With bases loaded, Sampson struck out Plant’s batter for strike two. With the bases still loaded, Sampson successfully struck out the next two batters and no runs were scored for Plant. In the bottom of the first inning, Lily Holtje hits a home run over the fence and Steinbrenner scores two runs. For the next four innings, Sampson held Plant to no runs, few hits and no score. 

“I think we did very well, especially against this team.”, said Patton, after the game.  

Things took a turn in the top of the sixth inning as the Panthers started getting in their groove and quickly scored 2 runs. Seeing this, Steinbrenner made the decision to put in 9th grade pitcher, Lilly Patton.  

“This is my first year on the high school Steinbrenner team, and my eighth year playing travel ball,” said Patton.   

Patton was able to keep the Panthers from scoring again even though the Lady Warriors did not score any points during this inning. Patton continued her success and held off Plant in the top of the 7th to win the game with a final score of 5 to 2.   

When the winning buzzer sounded, Steinbrenner students and families celebrated on the bleachers while the Lady Warriors celebrated and congratulated each other on the field. Both teams then showed their sportsmanship by lining up, walking down the field, and high fiving the opposing team.  

As the Lady Warriors headed to the dugout, they were proud and excited over their second win.  

“I think the energy was there throughout the whole game,” said Sampson.  

With the confidence of two wins, the Lady Warriors will continue to improve their skills so the girls Steinbrenner softball team can have a successful season.