The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

When Should Christmas Celebrations Begin?

Kirkland
With Christmas coming up, students are starting to debate when holiday celebrations should start. Many students already have decorations up as soon has Halloween is over, while others think otherwise. Photo courtesy of Kirkland.

When it turns 12am on November 1, it becomes a different day for different people, is it the start of Christmas or the start of Thanksgiving? This is a debate thrown around every year, asking when Christmas festivities are appropriate to start. 

“I usually start decorating the day after Thanksgiving,” sophomore Emily Miss said. 

Some people prefer to decorate very early, while others disagree with that. 

“Anytime between Halloween and Thanksgiving is too early to decorate,” senior Dimitri Bozikis said. 

There are a lot of people who agree and think they need to wait until Thanksgiving has passed to decorate. Miss says people wait for Thanksgiving because, “it’s the one day you can eat a lot and it’s fine”  

Decorating for Christmas can carry many family traditions and affect the holiday experience, Bozikis said, “It doesn’t set the right vibe for the time.” 

Many people agree with waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate, as stretching out the holiday doesn’t make it special anymore. On the contrary, some people love to decorate early for Christmas.  

“Right after Halloween, for me that is the instant start of Christmas time,” junior Temi Awolola said. 

While some may argue that it’s too early to be decorating, there’s a compelling case for embracing the holiday spirit. For a lot of people, Christmas is a happy time for them, and decorating early allows that holiday to last as long as possible. Plus, an early start to Christmas provides a longer amount of time for people to enjoy the holiday magic.