The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Steinbrenner Hockey: A Victory at State’s

Proud+Steinbrenner+hockey+players+and+coaches+huddle+together+to+take+a+picture+after+winning+the+state+title.+The+team+had+been+preparing+for+this+moment+for+the+entire+season+consistently+practicing+improving+their+skills+as+a+team.+Photo+courtesy+of+Amber+Pruitt.++++
Amber Pruitt
Proud Steinbrenner hockey players and coaches huddle together to take a picture after winning the state title. The team had been preparing for this moment for the entire season consistently practicing improving their skills as a team. Photo courtesy of Amber Pruitt.

On Feb. 25th the Steinbrenner varsity hockey team faced the Cypress Creek Coyotes in the final SAHOF state championship game in Orlando. During districts, they took a hard loss to Cypress but after lots of hard work and strategy building, the Warriors took the win against them in the state tournament beating them by 2 goals with a final score of seven to five. 

The Steinbrenner varsity hockey team is composed of 23 players from different schools within the district including Steinbrenner, Sickles, and Alonso. Most of the players have been practicing their hockey skills since they were very young and have strengthened their abilities by participating in club hockey in addition to playing on the school team. 

Daniel B. Bubley, the head varsity coach since the program started in 2009, says, “The 2023–2024 Steinbrenner warrior hockey team is comprised of student athletes who have an enormous passion to compete each shift of each period. The players play with great energy.” He adds that the team deserves a pat on the shoulder for their amazing effort and believes that, “… this year’s success will be important for giving recognition and awareness to our players that are legitimate high school athletes that other students at the school may not even be aware that Steinbrenner has a hockey team…” 

The team has been preparing for the state’s game the entire season by meeting up to do intensive training once a week and additionally going to the gym and club practice during the other days of the week. According to Senior player Marcus Benzrihem, the teams’ path to success is due to, “consistent practice. There really is no other answer.” He also adds that the team was feeling, “Desperate. We really wanted that championship because a lot of us especially our juniors and seniors, were sophomore and freshmen last time we qualified for states and we didn’t quite make the cut there, so we really wanted to get a state championship before we left.” 

There is great unity within the team and the feeling of brotherhood undoubtedly helps the coaches and players reach their competitive goals. Compared to being on a club travel team, where players leave and join frequently, the Steinbrenner hockey team encourages long-term team bonding which has spawned many friendships and memories. Max Okun, a four-year player explains “I feel like through the years this team has taught me how to be a leader, especially as a senior”. In addition to strengthening the players’ skills within hockey, it has created a supportive environment to grow as individuals. Carson Ring, a sophomore who has been playing for the team since the end of his eighth-grade year explains, “the energy of the team is very high and the boys are very passionate and proud to be playing for Steinbrenner.” 

Despite this camaraderie, the team faced some challenges this season. Since some of the more experienced players are committed to their competitive travel teams, there were scheduling conflicts during the season, including during the final rounds of the school state games. Despite this roadblock, “the semifinal game was one of our best games of the year and we were missing three of our kids. That was a major highlight,” said Okun. A major turning point within the season was during the semifinal game against Manatee high school. The Warriors were in a very close game and made a quick turn by pushing through a tiring quarter by scoring 2 goals in thirty seconds. With this super play the team started to “…get into a groove” according to Benzrihem.  

As the team celebrates their long-desired victory at state’s, they set a new goal to look forward to, a national title. With their first national tournament game in Westchester, Pennsylvania taking place on March 20th the team is preparing mentally and physically for what is to come. “I think it’s important for the players to understand that, while they have achieved a great accomplishment in winning the state championship, they have an opportunity to achieve even greater success, and they have to appreciate that they may never ever have this opportunity again. Therefore, we’re going to have to practice and get organized for a trip to the greater Philadelphia area. There’s more to accomplish.” said Coach Bubley.