The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Online SAT’s Pros and Cons

Doorway To College
The SAT has been paper and pencil for years, but was just made to be only online. Computers are readily available for schools which allows the digital SAT to be more convenient. Photo courtesy of Doorway To College.

The SAT has been around since 1926, it is a test known nationally. All these years it has been taken on paper, until this year. Starting in 2024, with the rise of technology, the SAT been changed to online on the computer, and students recently took their first one on the schoolwide SAT day. 

Junior Kaidence Weiss says, “The directions seemed more organized on the computer and the program was set up very well,” said junior Kaidence Weiss. 

On pencil and paper, people may be more prone to becoming disorganized by not only having multiple papers to flip through, but also to use as scratch paper. It can be seen as overwhelming to have so many papers in front of you all at once. Which is why people may enjoy the computer SAT more. It allows you to be more organized and easily go back and forth between questions. 

A downfall, however, of the computer that Weiss mentions is, “Staring at the screen to read for so long was tiring, but that’s the only part that would’ve been better on paper.”  

Luckily, breaks are provided between each section where students can take breaks. Overall, advancing the SAT to being online has been helpful to improving students’ performance while test taking.