The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Brandy Melville Debunked

Pictured+here+is+a+Brandy+model+sporting+a+classic+sweater+and+skirt.+On+the+Brandy+Instagram%2C+you+would+find+models+with+a+similar+body+type+which+clearly+depicts+the+brand+in+a+certain+way.+Photo+courtesy+of+Brandy+Melville+via+Instagram.+
Brandy Melville Instagram
Pictured here is a Brandy model sporting a classic sweater and skirt. On the Brandy Instagram, you would find models with a similar body type which clearly depicts the brand in a certain way. Photo courtesy of Brandy Melville via Instagram.

You may have heard of the brand “John Galt” or Brandy Melville for their trendy outfits and accessories. Although there is no location near Tampa, this brand is sold in many Pacsuns across the state. 

Brandy is very popular mainly among young adolescent girls which may not be a positive influence. This is due to the fact the clothes are all “one-size-fits-all.” Yet, this one size is about a 0-2, or an extra small-small. Which I can guarantee is not fitting anywhere close to “all.”  

“I don’t understand why brands can’t commit to making inclusive sizes for all people” said senior, Ava Muniz. This creates an elitist status for these people who do fit into these clothes. 

Behind this scheme is a man named Silvio Marson. Yes, a man. A man is behind the idea that there is an “ideal” body type for women. While Brandy has been around for years, they have never advertised. Their popularity has spread through social media and popular influencers.  

“Even though I don’t shop there they should create more sizes and make even more money” said senior, Hope Riddle. With more sizes, Brandy could rake in cash with considerably more revenue.  

“In my opinion Brandy Melville sizing is somewhat inclusive because there are different styles of clothes, some made to be form fitting or baggy. If you really want to shop at Brandy, you can find something that fits you” said senior, Blake Wegzyn. Brandy does offer many different styles, colors, and fabrics to choose from. All in all, Brandy isn’t for everyone, literally, in regard to values and physical characteristics