The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

New Year, New Quarterback, and Still Winning

Flag+celebrates+a+big+play+during+a+win%2C+led+by+Freshman+Quarterback+KK+Ramsey.+Photo+courtesy+of+Hannah+Chen.+
Hannah Chen
Flag celebrates a big play during a win, led by Freshman Quarterback KK Ramsey. Photo courtesy of Hannah Chen.

The Steinbrenner Varsity Flag Football team has already started off the season with multiple wins. With wins against Riverview 32-12, Sickles 22-0, and two more against Durant and Palmetto at the Pirate Bay Shootout. Senior Aaliyah Pitts, and Kyra Patterson scored their first touchdowns of the season. Also Senior, Maddy Bridges and Sophomore Kathryn Williams both have combined 15 sacks. 

The star freshman quarterback, #5, KK Ramsey talked about being the starter this season, “I’ve been playing flag for 5 years and it has always been something I strived for. It has been tough at times, but I have so many supportive teammates and coaches that have helped me along the way. Looking forward to helping to continue growing this program.” 

Even in a bright season start, the flag team had their first loss on February 26th against Newsome losing 19-0. Head coach, Puskas, states about the loss, “We had a lot of opportunities that we missed on. Newsome took advantage of some mistakes, and we missed chances to capitalize on theirs. That is a wonderful program, and it was a great test for us to see where we are and what we need to get better at.” 

Senior Captain, Brielle Edmiston said about her final season “It’s definitely a role I’m very proud to be in, as we have an amazing team of girls. This being my last year, I aim to push to my absolute limit every game knowing this will be my last few opportunities with this amazing group of girls. I know we will go very far, and I am excited to see what this season holds.” 

The team bounced back against Tampa Catholic on February 28th. They won 14-7. The Steinbrenner Flag Football team has a long season ahead and they are ready to see what they can accomplish.