The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Tips to Get Through Second Semester

Students that can keep up with ways to stay motivated will get through second 
semester much easier. Second semester has made students burn out, and this can help prevent that. Photo courtesy of Emory News Center.
Emory News Center
Students that can keep up with ways to stay motivated will get through second semester much easier. Second semester has made students burn out, and this can help prevent that. Photo courtesy of Emory News Center.

Second semester is known to be worse than first. This is because the workload typically tends to increase, and topics become more challenging. Another reason the second semester is difficult is because students become burnt out, coming out of exams and two weeks off for winter break, which makes it harder to stay focused and motivated.  

One way to get through the second semester is time management. Looking ahead at what you have coming up, and planning on when you want to space out your work. Time management is not only helpful with your workload, but also with your social life. Staying happy and motivated can be helped by keeping your social life alive and being able to have a life outside of school. 

Another strategy is to stay organized. Having a planner (physical or digital) can help you be up to date and not forget what you need to get done. Also, a huge part of staying organized is having a clean room. A cluttered room equals a cluttered mind. Cleaning your room and keeping it clean can help you to stay organized in school and make you motivated. 

A third strategy, is to not put too much on your plate. Give yourself realistic goals, start small and break down your tasks. Trying to do everything at once may burn you out and take away your motivation.  

Reminding yourself what you are working towards can help to motivate you as well. Think about what you are working towards. Whether that is college, your future career, or simply making your parents happy. Reminding yourself that you are working hard for a reason can help to drive you to work towards your goals. 

Another strategy is to not let setbacks discourage you. Instead, learn from where you went wrong and grow from there. Setbacks can help you to work harder and find better study methods or ways to work to help you. 

Finally, taking care of yourself is one of the most important things you can do. Giving yourself time to relax and unwind can help take away stress and make you happier. Getting enough sleep, eating healthily, and surrounding yourself with people who make you happy will help you feel better and stay motivated. 

Practicing these strategies can assist students in getting through the second semester easily, and stress-free. It is okay (and a good idea) to take breaks when necessary. Putting yourself first is a crucial part of staying motivated.