The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Pros and Cons of Participating in Highschool Sports

GSHS Oracle News
Many student athletes don’t intend to go professional, however participating in sports while in high school is beneficial. But while you can learn life skills, it’s also stressful to do both. Photo courtesy of GSHS Orcale News.

Many students across the country participate in at least one, if not more sports while simultaneously in school. While they may not all plan to become division 1 champions, playing a sport consistently has always been known to benefit highschoolers with skills that can be used later in life. Skills like teamwork and a good work ethic can be developed in almost any sport, no matter how good the player or team is. Colleges also take notice of students with lots of extracurriculars, sports included since it gives colleges proof that a student can work well with others, manage their time, and work hard.

For those who go beyond for their sport, they have a good chance to play for their college. Playing any sport in college can be very profitable and can help get spots in professional leagues. For example, college basketball players make on average 120k a year. Outstanding players, such as Bronny James or Angel Reese, can make millions each year. Many of these athletes are expected to join the NBA and become even more successful than in their college careers.  

However, sports can take up a lot of time and energy from students. Constant hours of practice each week can take away time to study or do homework. Even if a student finds some time to do their homework after a practice/game, they will be very tired and find it hard to finish their assignments. Additionally, big, important games can be a major stressor in a highschoolers life. This combined with many other stressors can be too much to handle and could even cause a stress-related injury. Teenagers have enough stress in their lives, and adding a sport is not going to help them out. Also, the chance that a player gets to play for a legitimate team is exceptionally low.

Many athletes waste hours upon hours training to try and play professionally, just for them to get injured or rejected. If students effectively use their time to study and focus on school, they could easily land a successful job. For most of the student body, sports are a complete waste of time, but can teach valuable lessons for those who participate.