Dr. Barton Takes Over As New Senior Sponsor

Anise Hansel

Senior sponsor Dr Barton helps her history students complete their assignment. Shes been working hard to maintain her role as senior sponsor and as a history teacher. Photo courtesy Anise Hansel

Dr Barton newly acquired the role of senior sponsor says her reasonings behind acquiring the job of volunteering for the position was due to the fact that, there was a teacher on the position before, Ms. Green, but she left. With Dr. Barton having prior experience helping Ms. Jones at Gaither high school, she took on the position.

Not only did Dr. Barton have experience, she says “I was also looking for something fun to add to her extra curricular’s. The role of a senior sponsor takes a core group of seniors that want to be in the senior class club, aka the senior counsel. They then make decisions, plan, and coordinate every senior event that will take place through graduation.”

Dr. Barton states, “In order to be a senior sponsor, the person has to have an interview with Mrs. Ewel, the principal, and Mr. Derflinger. You have to have specific skills on how to work with our bookkeeper, how to manage and maintain money, working with contracts, and dealing with all different kinds of paperwork.”

During the short period of time Dr. Barton has been senior sponsor, she has accomplished many things. Some of these things include: “hiring the Dj for prom, hired the decorator for prom, order and purchased all the prom gift bags that students receive when leaving prom, conducted the senior class nominations and got them posted, final voting will be next week.”

After nominations and planning for prom passes, grad bash planning then starts. Grad bash is a senior field trip to Universal celebrating their high school years. Dr. Barton has already submitted prices, found transportation, and submitted paperwork. Just waiting on approval then she can move forward; once she has gotten the approval, she will continue on with planning the events.

Overall, Dr. Barton has been an exceptional senior sponsor this year. Her dedication and hard work have been instrumental in creating a positive and inclusive environment for our student body. She has gone above and beyond in fulfilling her responsibilities, which include organizing events, providing guidance, and fostering a sense of community. Her accomplishments have not gone unnoticed, and she has earned the respect and admiration of her fellow students. We are grateful for her leadership and guidance throughout the year, and we wish her all the best in her future endeavors.