The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Color Guard Ends Out the Season with a Win

Susan Montgomery
The Steinbrenner winter guard just completed their final competition of the year and received first place at their championship. The team is having tryouts for next season in early May, so stay on the lookout!

On the weekend of March 30, 2024, the Steinbrenner winter guard competed in their annual championship competition in Daytona Beach, with varsity placing first place. Throughout the year the team heavily prepares by having weekly practices. 

“We have practiced every week on Tuesday, Thursday, and some Saturdays. We practice up to four hours on practice days and during class time, since the preparation for Daytona is a lot of making sure all the small details work and perfecting the show,” said junior Abigail Curewitz. 

The team left early from school that Thursday and headed up to the beach, and upon arrival the team participates in their yearly traditions. 

“When we get to Daytona, we meet at the hotel to get our room keys, and take team pictures on the beach, eat pizza, and have a bonfire on the beach at night and make s’mores,” said senior Olivia Morris. 

Every year the team wears blue jeans and white shirts to take their beach pictures, which is a fun tradition and a great way to get final pictures to close out the year. 

The varsity team performed their show Daughters of the Sea, which hits close to home for the seniors as this was their final performance with the winter guard.  

“The show was fun to perform, and it meant to me that anyone can embrace a certain character or personality,” said Morris. 

For many seniors this was their last performance ever, and leaving the team is a hard thing since many have been on the team since freshman year. 

“Being in guard means everything to me. These last four years I have evolved into an even better performer, and I’ve met so many amazing people, and I can’t wait to see where they go once, I’m gone,” said senior Gianna Aiken.  

The 2023-2024 guard season has been a great one with the team placing high in all their competitions, but the Legends and winter guard will miss their seniors dearly.