The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Stanley Cup Craze

Stanley+cups+are+the+biggest+trend+going+on+right+now+with+most+teenagers.+It+has+gone+as+far+as+people+storming+Target+and+camping+out+for+the+new+cup+release.+
Heidi O
Stanley cups are the biggest trend going on right now with most teenagers. It has gone as far as people storming Target and camping out for the new cup release.

Stanley cups, one of the most popular tumbler/cup brands of the 21st century have reached a new level of popularity. It seems like every way you turn in the halls there’s a Stanley cup. 

The history with these cups started in 1913 when a man by the name of William Stanley. He originally thought of the idea for the cup while drinking his coffee. He wanted a way to drink his coffee all day without it turning cold. To solve his ongoing problem, he invented a steel vacuum bottle that could keep drinks cold and hot for many hours. This turned into the Stanley Cup. 

So, what seems to be the big deal surrounding these $50 cups anyways? The reason might be because of their stylish colors or their durability or their impeccable ability to keep drinks a certain temperature for hours on end. 

Freshman Katie Kingery says the reason behind her fondness of this brand is because, “I really like the handle thing on the side, so it’s a lot easier to carry around than other cups. They don’t really spill as much.”  

Another point of view comes from Freshman Cheyenne Gommer who added, “I like that they have a handle on the side it’s easier to carry. I also really like the colors they offer.” The cups have several colors ranging from Electric Yellow to Kelly Green. “I have the dark blue one. Me and my mom are looking into getting me a light blue one,” Gommer added. 

While people have gone crazy for Stanley Cup’s, there has been a new chaos surrounding them. Stanley, Starbucks, and Target recently collaborated and released Limited Edition Valentine’s Day themed cups. The colors of these cups consisted of Fire Engine Red and Hot Pink. 

People have such a passion for these cups that they have begun running through stores, wreaking havoc, and even starting physical fights with other customers. Some people even spent the night outside of the store. As a result, Target started limiting their cups to one cup per person.  

Videos of the stampede hurling towards the cup section of the store were posted on popular social media sites like TikTok and Instagram. “I don’t think people needed to lose their minds over a hot pink cup. I mean I get the appeal they’re great cups but seriously? Not worth the violence.”