The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Battle of the Belts Week at Steinbrenner

Students+wore+red+on+Wednesday%2C+December+6th+to+promote+driver+safety+and+take+part+in+Battle+of+the+Belts+spirit+week.+Photo+courtesy+of+Brissie+Nguyen.+
Brissie Nguyen
Students wore red on Wednesday, December 6th to promote driver safety and take part in Battle of the Belts spirit week. Photo courtesy of Brissie Nguyen.

This December, Steinbrenner decided to take part in “Battle of the Belts” which is a yearly event that happens in Florida. The school devoted a whole week to raising awareness on the importance of driving safely on the road. Freshman Luciana Canillas was one of the leaders for the drive safe week. “Battle of the Belts is a week in December for students to learn about car safety like wearing their seatbelts, not texting and driving, etcetera. Its main purpose is to bring awareness to the topic, compete with other schools and make sure all our classmates are safe,” Canillas said. Steinbrenner’s student senators gladly took the position to lead this spirit week and came up with very creative ways to spread awareness.  

There were many ways the senators promoted this campaign throughout the week. Some of which included posting on Instagram, allowing people to dress up during the week, making posters to display on campus, having educational activities, and Drive Safe Dummies visiting the cafeteria. These promotions brought a lot of attention to the campaign which made students curious about the movement. Wednesday was “Red Out” day and to urge students to participate, senators gave cookies to the first thirty people to arrive on campus in the color.  

Steinbrenner has been known to participate in this event for many years. “We just keep the tradition going on.”, said freshman Caroline Risso.  

Overall, Drive Safe week was an enjoyable and educational week for the students. Canillas adds, “The overall message is to please drive safely. There’s someone who loves you.”