The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Steinbrenner Flag Football Takes Win Streak into Break

Hannah Chen
The Warriors find the endzone to take a lead. They would also catch heat at the right time heading into spring break. Photo courtesy of Hannah Chen.

The girls flag football team has had an amazing start to the season, holding a record of 7-1. The first opponents were challenging for the varsity team, but both offensive and defense were prepared to carry out multiple wins. Assistant coach, Alex Hertenstein explained, “We hoped to go into spring break 7-1 and continue the winning streak when we come back.”  The Warriors indeed met their goal and continued on with the season.

On March 6th the Steinbrenner Warriors took on Eastlake at the home of the Eagles. Warriors struggled to get a touchdown when they were in their red zone.  Though they didn’t give up, and they strived for a win against the Eagles with a score of 22-6.
On the day, March 7th, the girls flag football team played against Sumner.  Maddie Green, #8, had a great game on both sides of the ball, with a touchdown and an interception. She was the captain’s pick player of that game.  She commented, “I’m so excited to see what the future holds for this team.”   

Sumner was a tough and challenging team but that didn’t stop the Warriors from getting another win, 25-7. Looking on to what the team has to offer, Freshman Katelyn Smith quoted her experience so far playing with varsity. “It has been a great experience and getting close with the team has been so much fun. It was a bit nerve racking at first with being a freshman on varsity and all, but the whole team was so welcoming. I love playing with this team and being a part of the whole experience.” The Warriors next game will be after spring break on March 19th against Chamberlain on Steinbrenner’s own field, along with it being alumni night.