The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

Lady Warriors Cap Off Award Winning Season

The+Lady+Warriors+join+together+before+a+round+of+golf.+They+would+have+continued+success+at+their+meets.+Photo++courtesy+of+Josh+Goldstein.+
The Lady Warriors join together before a round of golf. They would have continued success at their meets. Photo courtesy of Josh Goldstein.

The Lady Warriors opened the 2023 season by winning their first regular season match against the Wharton Wildcats. This was a good start as Coach Josh Goldstein said, “The season is going really good and we’re about to make a run in the playoffs”.  

Over the last few years Steinbrenner golf has set high standards of winning tradition, commitment and honorability that comes with representing Steinbrenner and its blue and gold with pride and honor. Two members of our Steinbrenner golf team who represent these values are Sara Mekhtieva and Allison Ferguson. Senior Sara Mekhtieva stated, “I’m so honored to have had the opportunity to play for Steinbrenner golf for 3 years since I transferred, I always looked forward to the season and matches”. And returning sophomore Allisonn Ferguson was ready for the season, saying “After 2 days of tryouts I have officially renewed my place on the Steinbrenner girls’ golf team for my sophomore year, I can’t wait to see what we will do in the upcoming season”. Over the course of the season Coach Goldstein takes his team to practice courses and even some fun during practice at Pop Stroke.  

As the season wrapped up Sophomore Allie Ferguson said that “our team bond as well as our skill level that continues to grow each season is the reason we continue to dominate at districts and make it to regionals year in and year out.” In the playoffs Steinbrenner freshman Dannika Hines qualified for the 3A state championship. She finished 4th overall and was the only freshman to finish inside the Top 10. Dannika was voted player of the year in the Western Conference American Division, along with Olivia Baughman was voted 1st team in the Western Conference. Joining them was Riley Webster and Allisonn Ferguson were both voted 2nd team Western Conference.  

To cap off a wonderful season from the Lady Warriors, Coach Josh Goldstein was voted coach of the year in Steinbrenner’s division. The Warriors ended on a high note and look forward to their returning players continuing that hard work next season.