The Student News Site of Steinbrenner High School

Oracle News

Oracle News

Oracle News

A Cornucopia of Traditions: Thanksgiving Themed

Billboard
Tom Turkey, the famous leading float of the Thanksgiving Day Parade by Macy’s floats down the street. This popular parade has been going on since 1924. Photo courtesy of Billboard.

The classic Turkey, cranberry, green beans, and mashed potatoes around a family filled table doesn’t always suffice for every American family. Thanksgiving traditions vary between families in America depending on ethnicity and proximity of extended family. “On Thanksgiving, I wake up and watch the Macy’s day parade then go to my cousin’s house to have dinner,” said junior Nico Massari. Many people like to start their Thanksgiving mornings with the classic balloon parade in New York City.

Food-wise, Nicholas Decastro shared his experience with Thanksgiving traditions with his Brazilian family’s traditions. “We go to our Brazilian cousin’s house for a big party and dine with everyone around a huge table. We eat more nontraditional dishes like Batista de Maracuja,” said senior Nicholas Decastro.  Finally, something besides pumpkin pie! Batista de Maracuja is a passion fruit cake typically eaten at family gatherings. 

Most people have that one dish they look forward to seeing at the grand table. “My favorite Thanksgiving food is the cranberry sauce because I like how the sweet and tangy flavors compliment the other dishes,” said senior Tammy Budiman. The pairing of the foods at the table are at upmost importance to the delicious feast.  

Although, many families around the United States share traditions, everyone has their own variation consisting of different foods, locations, and activities.